2/24 draft - ready - "If you hold a cat by the tail, you learn things you can't learn any other way."

“If you hold a cat by the tail, you learn things you can’t learn any other way."

–Mark Twain

February 12, 2020 - Teva Pharmaceutical Reports a Step Back in 2019

In 2019, total revenue declined 8% to $16.9 billion

February 12, 2020 - European organic market grew to 40.7 billion euros in 2018

The organic market in Europe continues to grow. In 2018, it increased by almost 8 percent and reached 40.7 billion euros

This article is about humanity making collective changes for the better.

I must stress that I’m no John the Baptist, wandering in the desert eating locusts and wild honey. I live in Brooklyn, New York. I watch TV, drink whiskey, and spend hours a day online. I have done so since the Internet was invented. I took my place on that factory floor when it was first built, and that’s where I still work today.

It’s no small solace to me that I produce these articles in between doing my day job tasks.

People used to “correspond”. They hand-wrote letters to each other, on subjects they thought important. That’s what I see these articles to be.

Even moreso, they are “broadsides”, pamphlets, written and put up by people like Thomas Paine.

As you can see in those examples immediately above, we’re leaving the world I grew up in behind. I grew up chowing down McDonald’s, taking my medicine, and drinking Coca Cola.

In the two examples up at the top, I think it’s interesting how Pharma decreased by 8%, and how European organic increased by 8%. It’s not precisely organic apples-to-apples, but it gives the gist. That people have come to understand that food is medicine, and that medicine is poison.

That’s why an article that I’ve appended below is headlined “McDonald’s Declining Customer Traffic Is A Death March To The Future.”

Because nobody’s buying what they’re selling.

Here’s another current headline: "McDonald’s closes restaurants in five Chinese cities because of the coronavirus "

(Wipes tears of laughter from eyes) Ah, mirth. Government-engineered virii, is there anything they can’t do?

They closed them because nobody’s buying what they’re selling.

And it must be that these are just the first, incremental steps in a far larger positive change.

Jeff Miller, Brooklyn, New York, February 24, 2020

If you’d like to be added to the mailing list, or know someone who would be, please send me a note at [email protected]

PEOPLE UNDERSTANDING THAT CHEMICALS IN YOUR FOOD WILL KILL YOU

August 8, 2014 - McDonald’s Global Sales Drop Amid China Food Scandal

October 21, 2014 - McDonald’s Vows Fresh Thinking

October 30, 2019 - McDonald’s turns to tech to build the future of fast food

January 4, 2020 - McDonald’s closes restaurants in five Chinese cities because of the coronavirus

January 8, 2020 - Why We’re Lovin’ McDonald’s - Morningstar

McDonald’s (MCD) may seem like an unconventional choice for our top restaurant pick

February 10, 2020 - McDonald’s Declining Customer Traffic Is A Death March To The Future

PEOPLE UNDERSTANDING THAT FOOD IS MEDICINE

June 10, 2019 - US organic market tops $50 billion

The U.S. organic market hit a new record high in 2018, reaching $52.5 billion in sales

February 12, 2020 - European organic market grew to 40.7 billion euros in 2018

The organic market in Europe continues to grow. In 2018, it increased by almost 8 percent and reached 40.7 billion euros

(The author did what they could to hedge by removing the percentage increase from the headline, and replacing it with a meaningless statistic. - ed)

PEOPLE UNDERSTANDING THAT MEDICINE IS POISON

September 6, 2018 - Pharma’s Innovation Crisis, Part 1: Why The Experts Can’t Fix It

January 8, 2020 - Top five pharma companies saw overall decline in Q3 2019

February 12, 2020 - Teva Pharmaceutical Reports a Step Back in 2019

In 2019, total revenue declined 8% to $16.9 billion

A RISING AWARENESS THAT SUGAR IS POISON

July 13, 2011 - Consumption of added sugars is decreasing in the United States

December 24, 2015 - Americans Are Buying Less Sugar This Year

December 30, 2019 - Make 2020 the Year of Less Sugar

Many scientists now believe that added sugar is a main culprit in the obesity epidemic, but normal-weight people can suffer the same health problems associated with too much sugar. A 15-year study found that eating high amounts of added sugar doubles the risk of heart disease, even for people who aren’t overweight.

January 28, 2020 - Sugar consumption per person in 1850: 5 lbs. Sugar consumption per person in 2020: 175 lbs. This explains almost all disease.

PEOPLE ARE GIVING UP TELEVISION

February 28, 2019 - Watching hours of TV tied to seniors’ verbal memory decline

It’s unclear if television watching actually causes problems with recollection

January 23, 2020 - Impeachment Ratings Show Americans Aren’t Tuning In on TV

February 10, 2020 - 2020 Oscars Broadcast Hits a New Ratings Low

PEOPLE ARE GIVING UP ALCOHOL

JANUARY 15, 2020 - Americans’ wine consumption dropped for the first time in 25 years

That’s according to a new report from industry group IWSR that found wine consumption has dropped for the first time in 25 years. Instead, Americans are drinking more spirits and ready-to-drink cocktails, like hard seltzers, following a broader trend of people seeking out less caloric beverages as they become more health conscious.

Beer also remains on the decline with sales falling 2.3% — its fourth year of decreases . Sales of domestic beer brands, like Budweiser, fell 3.1% its analysis showed. But it wasn’t all gloom for the sector because craft beer sales jumped 4.1% and low or non-alcoholic beer sales grew 6.6%.

January 20, 2020 - Vietnam’s Tough New Drunk Driving Law Is Hurting Beer Sales

February 13, 2020 - Nordstrom and Whole Foods offer alcohol to their customers