Aerial Blessings; Training Aids

Here’s a typical flourbomb used in competitions among ultralight pilots. I fly at 500feet above ground level for these training runs.

A twenty pound bag of cheap white flour yields about 35 of these and you can buy popcorn bags by the thousand at a restaurant supply company. I use a 16oz cup to insert enough flour to create what’s in the photo. I snipped off the rim of the cup so it can fit in the opening of the popcorn bag easier.

After I’ve filled a bunch of them I fold the tops over and tape them closed.

This is what a target looks like from 500’

This was taken at my favorite practice target and I’m calling it a ‘direct hit’ since it was inside the perimeter fence of the small compound

That was a red letter day because this second one one hit center target (find the broken popcorn bag

I need to remind you that the US alleged gov’t has determined that it’s unlawful to toss anything from an airborne aircraft. I would never advocate doing that, nor would I report doing it myself. I’ve always wondered if the felonious feds would come after me for posting something like this but how would it look in the media and even in one of their kangaroo courts, these days. Before the internet got going they were easily able to railroad just about any ‘enemy of the state’ into prison for non-crimes but now it’s gotten harder for them to do that. Am I sticking my neck out too far?

If you’re a pilot, though, and haven’t learned how to put things where you want them I think you’re going to be a more confident distributor of blessings if you’ll practice this harmless method. It takes lots of practice to get proficient so don’t be discouraged in the beginning, okay? At worst, it’s a good excuse to go flying.

I have a flying buddy who was in the Air Force as a combat pilot, a long time ago, and he’s shared a lot of tips with me that have improved my game considerably. He’s got terrific stories, too. He even taught me some stuff about formation flying. Imagine an Etheric Air Corps that darkens the sky [Image Can Not Be Found] but every worthwhile new thing has humble, maybe even comical beginnings.

~Don