Alluminiun supply laws

Hi,

alluminium shavings for making orgo can become rare as for pollution laws (check your coiuntry). Since windows makers are now doing them in PVC plastic. Alluminium dust is probably remaining more common.

So provide yourself with alluinium while you can, if only the fine grind is available you will have to rinse the mix which is not good for realising certain types of builds and shapes.

It may entail more EPs and less tbs, or import shavings from country that dont limit it yet.

Aluminium shavings from makers of profilates, tubes, could be available altough it may have a lubricant, altought it separates from the resin as the mix solidifies it has more fumes and it leaves some traces on the surface.

Silvio

2 Likes

Circulate the news please.
Thanks

1 Like

Hi Silvio, I’m glad to see you’re still around. I just came back, same ol’ trickster Coyote… There are other manufacturing industries that will continue to use only aluminum. But if y’all get yours from window manufacturers that was a good warning heads-up. I’ve also made orgo from steel shavings from machinists. the little shreds that weren’t completely covered by resin do rust and are very sharp. but I don’t think they can rust inside the resin matrix. We’ve made tbs etc with aluminum shavings which had lubricant but they held together ok. Not happy with how price of marine resin has increased! - a funny story. When I first started 20+ years ago it was Halloween and I wore a clown costume to scavenge from a machinist shop. Someone asked the boss why a clown was going thru their garbage. I told them I was collecting metal scraps for an art project.