Essay: Explain how the Covid increased and decreased PC sales in 2020

“All that was great in the past was ridiculed, condemned, combated, suppressed — only to emerge all the more powerfully, all the more triumphantly from the struggle.” 

― Nikola Tesla

April 14, 2020 - PC sales suffer worst decline since 2013 due to coronavirus outbreak

June 2, 2020 - Global PC shipments set to drop 7% in 2020, owing to financial strains.

July 10, 2020 - PC Sales Surge During Coronavirus Crisis

Essay: Explain how the barely-covert international release of a bat virus with four amino acids added for improved transmissibility to humans both increased and decreased PC sales in 2020.

Three years ago, in 2017, Psychology Today was already fighting the rearguard action, trying to stop the collapse of Technology with an article headlined "Technology - Love It or Hate It, It's Here To Stay".

By November 2019, they really knew they had a problem on their hands, what with the publications of articles like "'It’s Really Refreshing And Relaxing’: College Students Say Ditching Their Smartphones For A Week Changed Their Lives".

That article reads “Everything is perfect right now. I’m having a lot better relationships… it’s a stress free environment no pressure about social media,” Jacob Dannenberg said.

“I think it’s really refreshing and relaxing… I was able to fall asleep a lot easier,” student Adrianna Cigliano.

“Doing homework was 100 percent easier. I got it done faster, I was in the zone,” Cigliano said.

When that article was published, virus-driven social engineering to drive the witless herd back toward Technology was just a few months away.

With the gift of hindsight, you can see Covid coming like a freight train in an article below from October 2019, headlined "10 stupid IoT devices that we just didn’t need".

The devices include a "smart" water bottle that will buzz and glow to remind you to drink, a hair brush called "hair coach" that measures the speed and orientation of your brush strokes, and web-enabled flip flops that send you discount shopping deals.

The "hair coach" is particularly telling, as it documents a generation (or four) whose parents didn't teach them anything, leaving the children with self-images where they feel like they don't know how to brush their own hair. Or perhaps even more terrifyingly, they actually don't know how to brush their own hair.

Rubes that will buy shit like I just described will believe literally anything, which is why the folks in charge took it as a green light to release the engineered bat virus just a few months later.

But technology sales are continuing to drop, other than the brief Covid "dead cat bounce" described as a "surge" in the second headline up above.

None of their gambits are working anymore. Not very well, anyway. 

One of the reasons I know we're going to win this thing is that they're not able to stop me from publishing these articles.

They already tried their best to off me, by having an MK'd wetworker blow through a red light and run me down on my bike back in Pittsburgh. She was going 42 mph when she hit me. I know that because I drove down the block a couple days later and made my car go as fast as I saw her coming at me.

I had only a small scratch on my shin. I rode my bike home from the scene of the accident. An unbent bottom bracket on a bike hit in the crankarm by a car going 40 mph is a scientific impossibility. When bike racers crash, their bikes "pretzel". My frame members are all still arrow straight. I'll be heading off on a ride on it in a minute.

Someone or something bent the rules of space time, something that I've heard and read of but never previously experienced myself. 

Well prior to me being run down, a psychic active in the Orgonite community (whom I later came to learn was an Agent) said to me "you have a lot of protection."

When I walked in the house, my wife said "how was your ride?" I said "I'm totally fine. I just got hit by a car." Without pause, she replied "I knew you were going to be hit. I thought it as you were leaving, and didn't want to be a downer and say anything about it. And I've never thought anything like that before when you've gone riding."

None of their gambits are working anymore.

Jeff Miller, Brooklyn, New York, October 5, 2020

February 21, 2017 - Smart home or smart addiction? A Love-hate relationship

April 29, 2017 -  Why you should buy the dumbest appliances you can find

October 11, 2017 - Technology - Love It or Hate It, It's Here To Stay - Psychology Today

May 10, 2019  - Smart people don't buy smart home devices

October 14, 2019 - Gosh, sometimes being human is just plain hard!

Flicking a switch to turn on a light.
Remembering how much water to drink.
Wondering if your hair has been brushed with the correct force.
What about working out where your cows are?

The “Internet of Things” or IoT connects so called “Smart Devices” to the internet. Whilst there’s no doubt some good use cases to having some of your gadgets internet-connected, here’s our top 10 list of absolute shockers.

10 stupid IoT devices that we just didn’t need
HidrateSpark

We all hate drinking water and spelling words correctly is a major drag. I mean, it’s the 21st century – shouldn’t we have a pill for that or something? Drinking when you’re thirsty is so hard it would appear. Enter the smart water bottle that will buzz and glow to remind you to drink.

Kérastase Hair Coach

YES! Finally a hair brush that will measure the speed and orientation of your brush strokes, because up until now you’ve been doing it like a caveman.

Egg Minder

Finally an egg tray for your fridge that will stop you from having to use your eyes to look at a use by date. You can even bypass this ancient technique of putting them in water. How great is life now?!

Garageio

Garage doors have been annoying mankind since the dawn of time. “What? I need to click this button to open it??”. No longer do you need to suffer this pain of a convenient button. Now you can open your garage door whenever you like from your much-more-convenient smartphone, with Garageio.

Nespresso’s Prodigo

Turning on a pod machine is tough enough, this nifty little gadget will tell you if you’ve run out of pods and most importantly, if you load a pod into the machine you can use your smartphone to make it go – rather than pressing the button on the top of the machine.

Shutteraze

We all hate having to shut our plantation shutters. To ease the horrific burden of moving your arms and legs, get onto this stupid kickstarter idea.

Griffin Toaster

Make burnt toast a thing of the past with this Bluetooth smart toaster from the geniuses at Griffin. At $132 it’s probably not great value for money given that your regular K-Mart variety toaster for $15 will work most of the time.

Griffin Mirror

But wait – there’s more stupidity from Griffin! They’ve also created a connected mirror that will display notifications from your phone, details about the weather and of course updates from your Griffin toaster… actually this device might actually be pretty cool, except for its $1390 price tag. Might as well just look out the window.

CloudPets

Kids really are simple. If given nothing else they’ll happily play in mud for hours. So why does their new teddy bear need to be connected to the net?? And just wait until recordings of your kids conversations get leaked… oh wait, they already have.
FlipFlops

And rounding off this list is the dumbest of all connected devices. These connected flipflops don’t give you any health data, such as steps or gait… they send the user discount shopping deals.

November 14, 2019 - ‘It’s Really Refreshing And Relaxing’: College Students Say Ditching Their Smartphones For A Week Changed Their Lives

GARDEN CITY, N.Y. (CBSNewYork) – They survived!

Nearly two dozen Adelphi University students made it a full week without their cell phones!

As CBS2 first told you last week, it was part of a college course intended to break the powerful addiction of smartphones.

CBS2’s Carolyn Gusoff went back on Thursday as students were reunited with their beloved mobile devices.

It’s old school in Jacob Dannenberg’s dorm room – with an alarm clock to wake him.

Handwritten notes remind him an actual wristwatch to keep track of time.

No it wasn’t 1999, it was an Adelphi University course called “Life Unplugged.” where students did the unthinkable one week ago – handed over their smartphones.

“I’m freaking out, I could probably cry right now,” one student said.

It was a bold experiment to recognize today’s compulsive relationships with ever present devices.

Seven days later, “who’s excited they’re getting their phones back today?” Professor Donna Freitas asked.

Gone were the nerves and the shakes.

“Everything is perfect right now. I’m having a lot better relationships… it’s a stress free environment no pressure about social media,” Jacob Dannenberg said.

“I think it’s really refreshing and relaxing… I was able to fall asleep a lot easier,” student Adrianna Cigliano.

They managed to find their way, even without GPS for a week.

“I just had to take the same route everywhere,” one student joked.

They were also more productive.

“Doing homework was 100 percent easier. I got it done faster, I was in the zone,” Cigliano said.

Prof. Freitas says it’s important for everyone to assess their addiction.

“Are the conveniences worth it because the drawback are pretty significant,” Freitas said.

“The fact that no one can focus, that my students can’t sleep… They feel bad about themselves because of social media, the list goes on and on.”

The sweet reunions went sour quickly as endless notifications piled up.

“Oh my God this is so bad!… I just want to shut it off now!” the Adelphi class said.

Students say they’re not quite breaking up with their phones, but promise the relationship will change.

“I want to keep that balance and figure out the healthy relationship that we deserve to have with our phones,” Cigliano added.

“My screen time is definitely going to go down and I’m going start to appreciate my surroundings more because usually I’m looking at my screen all the time,” Ashley Castillero said.

Students told CBS2 they look forward to living more in the moment, with their heads up more often, notifications off, and the “do not disturb” on.

Students were allowed to use a desktop computer or laptop during the experiment. They also made emergency communication plans with family.

January 22, 2020 - Why are so many smart TV's a nightmare to use?

April 14, 2020 - PC sales suffer worst decline since 2013 due to coronavirus outbreak

June 2, 2020 - Global PC shipments set to drop 7% in 2020

New numbers from Canalys project a 7% drop in global PC sales, owing to financial strains.

July 10, 2020 - PC Sales Surge During Coronavirus Crisis 

If you'd like to be added to this free mailing list, please send me a note at [email protected]