Fish are growing to unprecedented size at unprecedented rates

In my last article, I made a math error, which Gare caught (thanks, Gare)...I said "Economic damage from Organized crime in Germany dropped 450% from 2016 to 2017." When in fact it was 78%.

Still staggering. One of the funniest sidebars of this whole adventure is that the only courses I ever failed were Trigonometry in High School and Probability and Statistics in College, and I tried in both cases. I dislike math. I hope to be forgiven for the I'm-sure numerous math, spelling and grammatical errors within my work to this point. 

Just got back from three great days with my wife's dad in Pittsburgh. Life is getting better in everyone's life around me. My Father-in-Law, his best friend, two close friends of ours in Pittsburgh, my wife's brother, my wife, myself...supposedly during this "worst time ever".

I've been working a lot, so haven't had time to move the ball in terms of editing or research. Just going to have to accept the ebb and flow of it. Since my goal is politically-damaging broadsides, not great literature, I'm already a success, is the way I'm striving to look at it.

I'm going to keep throwing out pieces of the book to keep throwing spanners in the works.

FISH ARE GROWING LARGER THAN THEY EVER HAVE IN HISTORY, BECAUSE THE PRIMARY DRIVER OF THE SIZE, FERTILITY AND LONGEVITY OF ANY ORGANISM IS THE HEALTH OF ITS ETHERIC ENVIRONMENT.

The current Florida All Tackle state record permit fish, from 2019, was 341% larger than the previous record holder.

The current Washington state record bluefin tuna, caught in August 2019, was 152% percent larger - well more than double the size - of a prior record holder, caught in 2012.

The Wyoming state record freshwater drum fish, from July 2018, weighed 22.58 pounds, and was 109% larger than previous 17-pound, 4-ounce record holder from 1993.

The current Idaho catch and release state record for Garrard rainbow trout, from 2019, is more than double the size of the previous record holder, from 2018.

The current Wyoming state record freshwater drum fish, from 2018, was almost twice as large as a previous record holder from 1993.

FISH GROWTH RATES ARE INCREASING, GOING FORWARD IN TIME, WHEN THE OPPOSITE SHOULD BE THE CASE

The growth rate of Buffalo Sucker fish in Ohio from 2013 to 2018 was more than double that seen from 1983 to 2013.

The average rate of growth of the Florida state record flathead catfish from 2011 to 2016 was double the rate of growth seen from 2004 to 2011.

The annual growth rate of the flathead catfish in Pennsylvania from 2006 to 2019 was 69% higher than it was from 1985 to 2006.

The current Georgia state record blue catfish, caught in 2017, is 16% larger than the previous record holder, from 2010. The growth rate from 2010 to 2017 is roughly twice that seen from 1979 to 2010.

The weight of the world-record Northern Snakehead fish increased by a bit less than one percent from 2004 to 2014, and then increased by just over 11% from 2014 to 2018.

Jeff Miller, Brooklyn, New York, November 30, 2020

If you'd like to be added to this free mailing list, please send me a note at [email protected]