PVC EPs Make Sense?

this will be my first post—thanks for having me, board!—i’ll put up a proper intro soon

i’ve done a lot of experimenting with pvc pipe-sections in orgonite devices, including the substitution that was mentioned at the beginning of this thread; i was asked to post the following:

my experience with pvc ep’s has been less-than-favorable; the metal
constituent of the pipe itself seems absolutely necessary to create
the properly-shaped field

a similar effect can be (i believe; in my experience, etc etc etc
disclaimers) achieved by attaching a wire to the embedded coil,
running it up the side & then wrapping down along the outside of the
tube, but its a long pain-in-the-ass process & then only to achieve
the same effect of the standard-issue pipe. the field seemed to be
displaced a little bit to the sides but otherwise its just trying to
accomplish the same thing that the standard device does already

——————————

sorry about taking two emails to get this to you—-2 things i forgot
to mention:

1. the extra coil-wrapping down the sides of the plastic pipe appeared
    to be an attempt to mimic the metal of the pipe. that was its whole
    pupose, in the end

2. when one of them is found, the bombsquad goes NUTS, repeat
    absolutely NUTS. you can imagine why. so if you’re packing some around
    in the hills you dont want to have to answer any questions because
    they probably wont let you go for a loooooong looooooooong time.

———

similarly, my experience has been that tape-wrapped devices made of layers (tinfoil & wax-paper, for instance) are too delicate for tactical usage

Gene,
it could be that measurement of resin is expressed in weight, instead of volume because with volume it would be affected by the variation of the temperature from the environment.
Over here the windows are made of alluminium, there many small workshops to go ask for free scraps. Depending on the workshop the metals shaving can be bigger or finer. Is worth visiting a few window makers. They should accept a gift of an HHG done with their shaving. I did that, and later also sold a piramid to the workshop owner (okay, only 10 euro pa!).
The resin we get is from a buttons manufacturer, the deal is 3euro litre, is quite fluid and is way better than the one from say a colour shop where 1 kilo will cost 12 to 18 euros is so viscous that yelds little results of maybe 7 orgonites, and it makes cracks.
Not all the buttons manufactures will be available to sell resin, is worth trying and the thinner as well, so it will reduce the costs so much!

For the resin thinner i think it is already one of the elements of cheap resin that s why it is so thin and stinks a lot, much vapours. it is absolutely perfect to use for gifting as a money saver but i cannot offer this to people cause it stinks for a while lol

Sure the thinness of the resin plays a role in how much metal you can get but part of it i believe also has to do with the mixing process and the quality of the metal one has (thinner, medium,larger…). if you are mixing manually large quantities in a bucket instead of directly in a mould it becomes harder the thicker the resin for obvious reasons but one of the resins i use is ¨medium¨ thickness and it takes a good amount of metal to my surprise although it takes more effort.

For smaller quantities is ok, making more Kg´s one would have to explore a resin mixer. There are cheap attachments for power drillers and i bet with this, you could even get more metal mixed nicely in the resin.

fran

by the way, Gene is right. Don t be a fool and use a mask, it is not a nice feeling to get posioned by those gasses and your brain will thank you

Hi I buy the resin from Havelpol composite. It is a very good one and the price is nice too!
For example 50 Kg Havelpol 1 + delivery ca. 160€…and I can make almsot 450 Tbs.

https://www.havel-composites.com/shop/17

Thay sent me also the Greetings for Xmas…I was a good customer. I have tried the clear one too and it is nice! Bit I use the cheaper one for any Orognite…after a while won´t stink any more

Fran,

Here in the US, bargain basement resin is thick, not thin. What Gare is using in Thailand (inexpensive stuff by the barrel) is also thick and he’s now using the styrene monomer to thin it. IIRC he also said the stuff he’s getting in Canada when he chooses to make while there is also thick enough that he’d care to thin it with the styrene.

The other issue is that all this general purpose resin contains a thixotropic agent. This is an additive that causes the resin in a film to not run off a vertical surface. This also works against you. Thinning resin so “laced” may be the only way to fix this issue.

Casting resins (which unfortunately are usually much more expensive) do not have the thixo agent added as they’re meant to be poured and designed to flow like water to quickly fill the mold and exclude air.

Perhaps you have a good source for resin and are getting nice, thin stuff but that doesn’t seem to be the norm by a long-shot.

Since there’s already a reasonable amount of styrene monomer in resin when you buy it (viscosity modifier), adding 10-20% more doesn’t really increase the stench that much. I do not find the odor lingers any longer than it takes for the resin to cure.

Be aware that “fully cured” is NOT hours when its hard and coming out of the mold. It can take days to reach a full cure. Depends on the particular formulation but rest assured, the cheap stuff is no speed daemon in this regard.

If you don’t know, though heat will accelerate the curing reaction you can hasten the final curing by exposing the pieces to strong light (sun during midday is great). MEKP is photochemically reactive and light helps it speed resin curing.

Resin that is exposed to air during curing (bottoms of HHG’s and TB’s for example) will not cure properly. This is actually a feature as it helps any subsequent layers of resin stick to the prior one. You get rid of this issue by adding about 2% of a product they refer to as “finishing wax”. Its a 10% solution of a low molecular weight paraffin dissolved in styrene monomer.

What now happens when the resin cures is that the resin kicks the paraffin out and it surfaces and covers the exposed resin, sealing out the air where the resin now cures hard and properly. You usually need to remove this thin wax film by mechanical means (sanding or steel-wool usually). For orgonite, its usually on the bottom. If its a personal piece, just put a piece of felt there and forget about removing the film. Its inert (its wax) and causes no issues.

No argument about the smell though. Styrene monomer is much more potent than resin. And for those who’ve never seen it, the stuff is water thin – just like any other solvent. This is why a mere 10-20% will thin resin so well.

I prefer to mix my metal in with about 50-75% of the resin I know I’ll need, plop the stuff into molds, tap to settle and then top off with a bit more resin to finish them. It goes quickly as you now don’t have to poke at stuff if your metal packs well (mine does) to make sure you don’t get any trapped air bubbles. Once all the metal is thoroughly wetted with resin, this is unlikely to happen.

And yeah, respirators will save your life. You don’t need to get more than a couple snoot-fulls of resin fumes before you start feeling bad and it doesn’t clear nearly as fast as you got it. Also, DO NOT work indoors even if its a garage or shed. Leave a door or window open. Respirators will keep the nasty odors out of your lungs BUT if those odors get thick enough to displace the air in the room, you’re going to die from asphyxiation. No resin fumes in your lungs along with not nearly enough oxygen is ALSO a killer! You need to vent the fumes out of the place and replace it with fresh air constantly.

As far as a type of respirator, go for a chemical/vapor/odor type (this will be a filter cartridge thats a hepa filter plus a charcoal cartridge) and a rating of P100 is the best meaning it removes 100% of all the offending odors/dusts. There are lesser quality ones that are only rated at P95 and maybe thats OK in a factory where they know to ventilate well but at least for me, I’d care for that last 5% of the resin fumes to NOT wind up within my body. These aren’t expensive. I bought a

MSA Safety works respirator, model number of 00817663

The manufacturers data said it was P100 class and IIRC, it didn’t even cost me $30. I actually bought it off a vendor on Amazon.com though these are available through many vendors both on the internet and in “brick and mortar” stores. I had a friend who runs a large chemical/coatings toll manufacturing business take a look and he said this one is a really good one so I bought it. I was not disappointed!

The cartridges will probably last anyone not making barrel after barrel of resin years and replacements are around $15/set. This is a VERY worthwhile investment. It could save your life not only when working with resin but also when working with solvents, bleach in confined spaces, etc. It removes all of it.

I’m not trying to scare anyone away from trying to make ogonite. Out in the open with a mild breeze you probably don’t need a respirator (stand UPWIND!). In an open garage, at least for me, I’m wearing one!

There are lots of products we use around the home that , if you don’t heed warnings and pay attention to what you’re doing, could be harmful or even fatal. Resin is simply another of these so act accordingly.

Michele,

That is a great price for resin. It comes out to around $16-18 US/gallon (depending on what the exchange rate for the Euro happens to be on any given day). I’d have to buy a 55 gallon drum (220Kg) of resin to get even close to that price! Resin in the US is priced quite high compared to other countries.

Ale told me last year that he was getting drums of resin from Brazil and IIRC, it was costing him about $12/gallon by the drum. Not here in the US for sure, sigh and prices are rising and 50Kg drums don’t seem to be something available in the US (at least I haven’t found any). The norm seems to be 55 gal (220Kg) drums.

As far as clear resin, there are 2 standard ones available in the US – Silmar 249 and Silmar 41. The 249 is a laminating resin used for mostly surfboard manufacture. The 41 is a casting resin and its not designed for thin film applications (won’t cure properly) but for pouring pendants and HHG’s and other personal pieces, the 41 is more desirable. They cost probably 30% more per gallon than the general purpose amber colored resin so using it for field orgonite is an expensive endeavor.

I see Gene.
It just happens that for me locally everytime i ve gotten the very cheap resin has been the thinnest and with more styrene in it for sure. This resin i use for myself, for gifting. It comes from boat makers/repair shops and i suppose they get a great price for the drums and probably want it as thin as possible cause they spend much of it so that s why i ve been getting thin cheap resin but I ve chosen to work with 2 other resins for offering others and although they are a bit more costly than that, it suits my purpose for this case.

The point is this for sure, cheapest resin available is going to make you lots of pieces and if adding thinner is going to get you even more , it s all an advantage. Michelle has pointed to one really good source of resin in Europe.

As you say with the styrene vapours is nice to work in an open area and summer is nice to be able to work outside. In the wokshop i keep my windows and door opened and the fan is always running, i learned the hard way in another place that was smaller and not so well ventilated, just got a little dizzy

I like to try what suggested about putting orgonite inside metal poles.

I wanted to share this way to overcome the problem of getting the orgonite inside the metal pole.

It’s done using a stick with a hook screwed at the extremity, the stick can be a telescopic one such as those used for painting walls, when the poles are very high. Otherwise 1 metre lenght is enough for the normal street sign.
Then with some masking tape or other tape, make a handle with the tape by applying one piece of tape that sticks on 2 opposite sides passing over the top, like a sort of handle. Then hook the orgonite to the stick, this will work as an extension of your arm in order to reach the top of metal pole. Once the orgonite is inserted in the hole at the top of the metal pole, just pull or twist a bit the stick to get the orgonite to unhook and free fall inside fully.
Since this may produce a little noise, there is a variation for the very silent gifter, substitute the hook with a screw eye ring, and use a string that need to pass inside both the handle on the orgonite and the ring on the top of the stick, place the orgonite on the hole, then the string can used to allow the descending of the orgonite, a bit a the time.

Since this may produce a little noise, there is a variation for the very silent gifter

There is another way I used most of the time, wait for a heavy rain time, the poles will be full of water and when you drop the orgonite it just makes ‘plop’ and no other sound while it’s slowly going to the bottom inside the water [Image Can Not Be Found] And while it’s raining, there’s not many people outside, winter rain close to 0°C is the best, there you’re sure to be alone and make no noise
i usually went around on a bike, because you can use it as a ladder, usually it’s fine for poles up to 3m! No need for hooks, sticks or any modifications of the orgonites!