The Form Matters

Hanh mitakuyapi / Hello my relatives. I was fiddling around with orgonite forms & being a Traditional Indn, made some as small tipi-shaped cones, with the side angles pretty much the same as the side angles of a tipi. The ‘tipi effect’ is similar to the ‘pyramid effect’ – it makes those who come within its influence feel very relaxed.
I’m still refining this, but they’re easy to make – Basically, you’re making a cone with a center height – to – base diameter ratio of about ).95 : 1 & side length – to – base diameter of about 1.1:1. So, if the diameter of the base is 4", the length of the sides will be about 4.4", & the height will be about 3.8". We didn’t get into precise math when we lived in tipi’s, so if your orgonite tipi isn’t perfect, don’t get too exercised about it. Close works, trust me. Just thought you might like to think about it…

I prefer the more 1:1 aspect ratio but martini glasses and pyramid molds are much more “squat”.

Where does one get molds for something like you describe?

Just out of curiosity (because I don’t know), was there some good reason for the aspect ratio of a tipi (like something practical at the time they were “invented”?). I’d just bet there was but I can’t think right now what it might have been – interesting bit of trivia if you know.

Gene

Gene,
Don uses Dixie cups and just leaves the paper attached. He also puts a copper coil from base to tip. This is what he was using to make 108s.

Yes, I know and I’ve done the same thing but I assumed what Pahinh was referring to was making personal (artistic) HHG pieces which you can’t do with dixie cups. If she has a source for a taller mold I’d love to know where to get one.

You can use a paper party hat from any dollar store as a cheap mold for a large tipi shaped hhg. I haven’t worked out the maths on the side to base ratios, but it creates an hhg with a very tipi-like shape. All you have to do is tape the side and the tip of the hat shut so the resin doesn’t run out.

This mold is paper, so won’t do for pretty pieces, but makes a nice gifting device for large targets.

I made these two hhg’s in party hats, the cups behind them with their bottoms cut out held the molds upright as they cured:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/gifter/1198970248

Mike

Thanks Mike, saw that somewhere but I’d be more interested in a mold for making personal (pretty as you say) pieces. Probably no way to get the mirror like finish with one that you do when you cast in glass but other than a champagne flute I don’t know of any glass that has a shape like this and with how narrow it is at the bottom, you wouldn’t get a very big device with it if you wanted to hold that aspect ratio.

Gene

Yep, the tipi TB’s are great. Have been for many years.

http://www.ctbusters.com/cart/towerbusters-p-51.html