Alternatives to Google, Facebook and reclaiming privacy

This is a interesting delivery of information and discussion for privacy and security. It may be pertinent for those who have experienced sabotage or dont fell secure.

The artcile encompasses the possible alternatives for mail, messaging, social platforms, forums, and Operating Sytem.

I am giving protomail the swiss secure anonymous mail provider.

https://voat.co/v/pizzagate/1524600

I was asked to post this information here for the privacy and security aspects.

My use of alternative software & services started when I stopped using as many Google products & services as I could over ten years ago.

Between the actions of various governments, their officials, the EU, Google, Twitter, & Facebook over the last two years we now know who can’t be trusted. FYI, just to be clear hosting data outside the US will not protect it from the NSA. Like they’re foreign counterparts these groups go after everything on a global scale.

So if you own your own router when was the last time you updated it? ISP routers are niece & convenient but they have limited security. Buying your own or better yet building your own network firewall are far more secure options.

Facebook and Google track everything we do. The Facebook apps & Chrome shouldn’t be running on your systems & devices. Many of Chrome’s extensions also track you.

Use Revo’s free option to uninstall Chrome. Firefox is barely any better as the company is full of SJWs. Meanwhile Opera was bought out by the Chinese, so if you use this browser do not use their built in password manager.

At the time when I decided I didn’t want Google or my ISP’s email option that left Hotmail as the only service with comparable features to Google. So I used Microsoft/Hotmail for everything standard and Hushmail for stuff I wanted to keep private. Now I still use Microsoft but I use Virtru for encryption and Telegram for private communication.

So far Microsoft has been agnostic not interfering with auto complete or their searches. So for the time being I will have some of their services listed.

I have also kept Cyanogen OS listed and added the Cyanogen Mod fork.

So here is my big list of alternatives. If anyone has more suggestions hit me with a reply.

Email:

• Protonmail - A fully encrypted email service, hosted in Switzerland.
  • Tutanota - A fully encrypted email service, hosted in Germany.
  • virtru - Free for personal use, outlook encryption plug-in.
  • Privacy-Conscious Email Services List
  • VFEmail - Since 2001, providing businesses and end-users a quick and convenient way to ensure their own security when it comes to email.
  • Unseen.is - Private and Secure. Messaging, Calling, Email and Hosting from Iceland.
  • Outlook - The only full service gmail competitor.

Encrypted Messenger Software:

• Telegram (My pick) - Similar to What’s App only independent, secure, & on all major platforms including the desktop.
  • Signal - Encrypted FOSS messenger, only on iOS & Android.
  • BBM - Old school with a big user base, fully encrypted, & a feed/channel system.
  • Ricochet - Anonymous instant messaging for privacy through the TOR network.
  • Tox.chat - Tox is easy-to-use software that connects you with friends and family without anyone else listening in.
  • Unseen.is - Private and Secure. Messaging, Calling, Email and Hosting from Iceland.

Browsers:

• Brave (Blink) - by former Mozilla CEO. (My pick)
  • Vivaldi (Blink) - by former Opera CEO, has plenty of add-ons. (My runner up.)
  • Pale Moon (Goanna) - Firefox fork.
  • Midori (WebKit)
  • Light - A minimalist browser based on Mozilla source code.

Password Managers:

Search Engines:

• DuckDuckGo - privately uses Yahoo (Bing). Has “bang” options.
  • StartPage - privately uses Google.
  • Bing - A full array of features and a rewards system you can sign up for.

Youtube Alternatives:

• note: If you’re a serious content creator than I suggest mirroring your channel on several of these:
  • Live Leak (My pick) This is the place to mirror your Youtube channel. They are anti-censorship.
  • vimeo <- A lot of original artistry content.
  • Break - Popular Youtube competitor that’s been around awhile.
  • Vid.me - Another good site to mirror your content.
  • Gvid - An experiment for a low cost, content neutral replacement for Youtube.
  • metacafe
  • veoh

Alernate DNS:

Mobile OS Alternatives:

OS Alternatives:

• Qubes OS - A reasonably secure operating system.
  • Haiku - Inspired by the BeOS, Haiku is fast, simple to use, easy to learn and yet very powerful.

Social Media alternatives:

• Diaspora.com - My pick while waiting on Gab.ai.
  • Gab.ai - Twitter alternative, waiting list to join.
  • BBM - Old school with a big user base, fully encrypted, & a feed/channel system.
  • seenlife - Privacy concious Facebook competitor.
  • Movim
  • GNU social
  • Voat.co - Reddit alternative.

VPN:

Alternate web technology:

• I2P - The invisible internet project, similar to TOR.
  • ZeroNet - Peer to Peer, Open, free and uncensorable websites.
  • IPFS - A peer-to-peer hypermedia protocol.
  • Matrix - Matrix is an open standard for decentralised communication.

Miscellaneous:

• We Are The New Media <- List of alternative media & news sites.
  • Infogalactic - A wikipedia alternative
  • Greycoder - Privacy information & tech including VPNs.
  • Prism Break - Privacy information & software.
  • Muckety - Shows relationships between people, businesses, organizations, and governemnts.
  • privacytools.io - provides knowledge and tools to protect your privacy against global mass surveillance.

Edit 01: corrected error on Protonmail being hosted in Switzerland, not Sweden.

Edit 02: ok several new additions and some minor updates.

want to join the discussion? login or register in seconds.

sort by:

New Bottom Intensity Old

Sort: Top

[–] redditfuckingsucksyo 16 points (+17|-1) 12 hours ago

Fantastic post, forcing old social media that has betrayed the people to die by embracing new social media will be how we win this war.

[–] Picard 9 points (+9|-0) 10 hours ago

As long as you have family, friends, and can a manage your business without social media of any kind I suggest doing so. At this point I’m calling a social media a failure of technology as it simplifies life in such a way that makes us stupid by default.

[–] TheTrigger 4 points (+4|-0) 8 hours ago (edited 7 hours ago)

It really is, though (a failure). We’ve tried and tested it so many times , and each and every single time it’s ended in the exact same demise. Facebook had the luck of growing to a worldwide entity (read: astronomical profits, compared to every similar business before them) and it STILL succumbed to the same forces that wrecked all of its predecessors. Albeit, delayed b y their massive cash reserves, they’re still going to fail. All the signs are there.

We’re all numb to this cycle, by now. Hell, it’s the reason most of us are on voat— hands up: who started on Slashdot, or even SA (I’m sure there’s older sites out there, that I’ve since-forgotten because it was so long ago), before ending up here?

Let’s face it: people were meant to interact in person. Maybe that’s why FB’s pushing so hard in the VR market; because, they know no one’s going to subsist on anonymous text, alone. That way, if they can get “online friends” to at least get interactive, VR avatars talking to each other, they might be able to survive for at least a couple more decades before they inevitably crash-and-burn.

[–] B3nder 2 points (+2|-0) 7 hours ago

social media free since 2012 and happy with it

[–] animalchin 0 points (+0|-0) 5 hours ago

“Don’t Be Evil” Hmm, really makes you think.

[–] fiddleheader 3 points (+3|-0) 10 hours ago

Also Qubes OS, the OS that Snowden uses: https://www.qubes-os.org/

[–] Dark_Shroud [S] 0 points (+0|-0) 3 hours ago

At the moment I was just listing mobile but I guess its time for desktop OSs now.

[–] roundhouse1776 3 points (+3|-0) 11 hours ago

This is a really great post. I’ve already been using startpage as my default search engine, but now I’m going to use Brave as my main web browser as well. Time to cut Google and the other traitors out completely.

[–] caprep 3 points (+3|-0) 13 hours ago

Keep in mind, National Security Letters and warrants can be served to any US company. Smaller companies may be less likely to be involved in dragnet surveillance, but it isn’t perfect.

[–] Rigg5 2 points (+2|-0) 10 hours ago (edited 10 hours ago)

Hear me out- Our government was ALWAYS tracking us and feeding us lies. So, with that in mind, making it a LAW is similar to the first step in AA. Acceptance. The establishment has Accepted and Admitted that they want full censorship. This essentially legitimizes the conversation. I will choose to look at this as a win, because SO many people have been red-pilled already. This will force people to go offline and spread Truth in the level of personability that in many ways is much more powerful than a messageboard on the internet and can carry real movement. Make fliers, billboards, posters, graffiti… They can’t make us forget what we already know. Now is the time for the information to spread at a community level.

[–] Raps1 2 points (+2|-0) 10 hours ago

I’d add that https://unseen.is/ is another alternative for secure messaging and email. They operate out of Iceland.

I use both Palemoon, and the Light browser. It’s a Firefox fork without any of the overhead contained within Firefox. It supports most of the FF addons, but it is truly light and you do have to configure it with ffmpeg to play media.

May as well throw in some addons that are useful. uMatrix because it allows for more control than NoScript, and uBlock because, while there is some overlap with uBlock, they work beautifully together and replace a host of other addons.

Decentralize is another important addon. It redirects requests to all of Google’s “free” stuff like jQuery, web fonts, etc., locally to your computer.

Adding lists to your host file is another method of blocking unwanted sites. You can also do this with OpenDNS. If you do own your router, you can block sites for the household. People are surprised when they access your wifi and discover that ads are non-existent in apps ;)

[–] fiddleheader 2 points (+2|-0) 10 hours ago

Palemoon rocks on any machine, but especially on older machines. Running on a 7yo netbook and it’s as snappy as any browser on any new computer. Everything that’s good about firefox w/o the bloat.

[–] TheTrigger 0 points (+0|-0) 7 hours ago (edited 7 hours ago)

I’ve been running Pale Moon for months. Sometimes, I just leave it running for weeks on end; without actually closing out of the browser (just minimizing it, when not in use) and right now it’s at ~350MBs with a bunch of tabs open. It’s been running non-stop for a few days. I remember having to restart Firefox every few hours, during heavy use, 'cause it would sometimes end up using almost all of my RAM. To the point that even the OS UI would lag.

Basically: it’s everything FF should have been.

[–] Dark_Shroud [S] 0 points (+0|-0) 8 hours ago

I literally just gave someone a link to µMatrix over on edit.

I was already thinking that I’ll probably have to write a guide for the browsers.

[–] CommiePatrol 1 points (+1|-0) 6 hours ago

How do you feel about Edge browser?

[–] TheJesusDude 1 points (+1|-0) 5 hours ago

I’m curious about this. I have hardly used it but from what I have it was quick. But if your worry is privacy I’m pretty sure Windows 10 in general is no bueno.

I sort of like it, I still run into a few quirks here and there and the UI is still missing a few features/options.

[–] WeAreTheNewMedia 1 points (+1|-0) 9 hours ago (edited 9 hours ago)

Awesome List! Thanks for linking to us @ WeAreTheNewMedia.com

This has already made some rounds so hopefully you guys get a nice traffic bump.

Here is a compendium from the website of Qubes OS operating system. the article explains that computers hardware are already built with weakness that have been used by hackers. It focuses on intel based chipsets. There are more articles there.

https://www.qubes-os.org/

https://blog.invisiblethings.org/papers/2015/x86_harmful.pdf