German Church And Castle Slideshow

Here’s a slideshow of a few pics I shot at Neuschwanstein Castle in Bavaria, also pictured is a nearby church, I don’t recall the name of the town. It was so cold in that church the holy water was frozen.

The castle was built by King Ludwig ll in the late 1800’s. It has running water on all four levels, fed by an artisian spring that exits the mountain above the castle. There’s also central heat. We only got to walk up to castle and couldn’t take the tour because we were not up to the two-hour wait to buy tickets then another two-hour wait to get in the castle. It was a holiday weekend Sunday and the place was packed. I plan to go back someday on a weekday and get in there.

Ludwig built two other castles; Linderhof and Herrenchiemsee. He died in 1886 before Neuschwanstein was completed.

I bought a picture book with amazing interior photos. If I scan the photos at some point I’ll post them. The King’s bed took several artisans twelve years to carve! Above the bed are all the great towers and spires of German castles. The King’s throne was never built as it was still being made somewhere when the King died. His family was so unhappy with all the money he spent, they cancelled all work-orders upon his death. Ludwig must have been a pretty good guy, he instituted a health insurance plan for the workers; if you were injured on the job or fell sick you would receive 65% of your pay for fifteen weeks. The King paid the premiums, so to speak.

http://img502.imageshack.us/slideshow/p